Saturday, December 7, 2019

Syllepsis: linking words together.


How about this for clever?
Miss Bolo rose from the table considerably agitated, and went straight home, in a flood of tears and a sedan chair.
Dickens at his best.

When I address Fred (pictured above) I never have to raise either my voice or my hopes. 
Vegetarianism is harmless enough, though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness. 
You took my hand and breath away.

Dorothy Parker:
It's a small apartment. I've barely enough room to lay my hat and a few friends.

It is easy – you take a verb and add objects which have no connection to each other. Examples show you can and up the people who can't.

When surprised by a maid entering his hotel bathroom, he stood up covered himself as best he could. In his panic he lost his soap, his honour and his sponge.
He opened the door and his heart to the homeless boy.

It can be very simple if you use other parts of speech:
Get up and shut up. 
She shut her handbag and her mouth. 
The police shot at the man and off after his stooge.

See? You have to get it absolutely right or other people won't get it.

She ate the linguini with a fork and a twinkle in her eye.
 
He wore a suit and a smirk.

Take on your own syllepsis and off that look of despair!

Erm...









No comments:

Post a Comment