Monday, December 9, 2019

Enallage: Copy and Paste.


This little trick has a proper name – Enallage. It comes, of course, from the Greek and it means copying and pasting: putting stuff in. You switch stuff over, however bad the English.
We know it as copy and paste. You just take the words as spoken or written and paste them, mistakes and all, onto the page.

You can always translate it.
“Ah no sabby Sah!” the Sergeant snapped.
“I don't think anyone knows,” Major Carruthers replied and looked him in the eye. He respected the West African Riot Police.

“ 'Ow are we today, Monsieur Jones?” The French
Policeman smiled as he replaced his pistol in its holster.

“Vell,” shouted the German teacher who could not keep order, “who has neeeckt my pen?” 

Here is a comment which was written on a local discussion group about capital punishment. Someone suggested that it be restored in UK for terrorist offences:
“it wont happen, the police have to deal with these people in the streets as they come across them, if it means shooting them then they will “
If the English had been corrected, the rawness of the comment would have been lost.

And advertisers love enallage.


And so did William Shakespeare.


And so do song writers who simply copy and paste their thoughts and words onto the tune as they flow out:

I'm leaving today
'Cause I gotta do what's best for me
You'll be okay
I've got to move on and be who I am
I just don't belong here
I hope you understand
We might find a place in this world someday
But at least for now
I gotta go my own way

The thing about enallage – copying and pasting – is that it brings what you are saying to life.
Don't it.






No comments:

Post a Comment