Thursday, November 28, 2019

Bond, James Bond.

Way back in primaeval times (1982 to be exact), a woman in a red dress is sitting at the baccarat table. She loses and loses until finally, she says that she has to borrow another thousand pounds. And now we hear the hero's voice, off camera. He says, rather sarcastically, "I admire your courage, Miss…"
"Trench" the lady replies testily. And then, seeing who asked the question and clearly finding him attractive, she adds her first name, "Sylvia Trench."
Then she replies, clearly miffed, "I admire your luck Mr…"
The camera turns to the mysterious man, and he, still making fun of her and mimicking her rather silly introduction, says, "Bond, James Bond."


I lifted all this almost word for word from my mentor, Mark Forsyth, one of the wittiest writers I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Just as Shakespeare copied bits out of Holinshed, so I copy bits out of his Elements of Eloquence.

This little exchange is called a diacope - cutting in half, to be exact. 
It really works in USA (unless you actually live there).
Live, baby, live.
Yeah, bruvva, yeah. 
Game over, man, game over.
Diacope is so easy to do and it adds emphasis too.
Do you like fishing?
Do I like fishing? Yes, your Grace, I like fishing. 
Labour! Vote Labour! (Please add your own preference here), 
Winter is winter. 
Diacope. Use Diacope.
Imaginative people can easily use this as a strapline as advertised in the title - yes the title - of this blog- this very blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment